elisas8

The Fixer
Bernard Malamud, Jonathan Safran Foer
The Wayward Bus
John Steinbeck

The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, Book One)

The Clan of the Cave Bear - Jean M. Auel just over 4 stars, i guess. i probably really shouldn't write this review right now because i just finished the book a few minutes ago and i'm a little staggered by the very end. it's a little hard for me to review anyway, but here we go. cons first. it's well written but nothing exceptional. it's a little predictable (even the ending that made me angry was foretold halfway through, if not before) and there is so much obvious foreshadowing and "writing tricks" that aren't tricky at all. the characters are a little too perfect in their goodness or evil; they aren't flawed (or they're only flawed) and aren't layered at all. pros. somehow this book, in spite of those cons, is wonderful. i could not put it down, and when i was forced to, i couldn't stop thinking about it. i dreamt about it every night, woke thinking about it every morning, wanted to bring it on my "date night." i was so into this. obviously i love a strong, amazing female protagonist, but it was so much more than that. reading this, you're just so ... there. she really puts you there and the place she's putting you is the origin story of the human race, which is somehow just utterly enthralling.it's a good thing i liked this so much because i have like 5,000 pages to go in the series...