The Fixer
Bernard Malamud, Jonathan Safran Foer
The Wayward Bus
John Steinbeck

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Bantam Classic)

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Bantam Classic) - Mark Twain i found this far more enjoyable than the adventures of tom sawyer, for both the quality of the story and the writing. i laughed a lot, and found myself always wondering how huck would 'get out of this one,' as this is a series of scrapes he has to talk his way out of. the last 20% or so, though, once tom sawyer came back into the picture, was a bit repetitive and kind of annoying, although i could see how it would be pretty riotous for a young reader. i'm pretty sure i've never read this book before, to my surprise. so i guess i wasn't quite expecting how often he used the 'n' word. i think he made some really important statements about the humanity of black people, while still falling back on some unflattering stereotypes. i can see why it was banned in schools - it would require a real conversation (with critical thinking!) with kids about race, language, slavery, history, and how even a literary classic from 1885 that (perhaps) set out to break down racial inequality doesn't go far enough by today's standards.my favorite quote:"Hain't we got all the fools in town on our side? And ain't that a big enough majority in any town?"