elisas8

Bernard Malamud, Jonathan Safran Foer
The Wayward Bus
John Steinbeck

Stranger in a Strange Land

Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein putting aside all of the sexist, homophobic, and gender stereotyping commentary throughout this book (and a bit of racism as well, but not nearly as overt), i found this a fun read. for the first 2/3 of the book. (a book that is supposed to be a major work of sci-fi, however, should be able to see past things like sexism. i give him a pass because of when it was written, but i still find that disappointing, for a 'forward thinker.') i didn't agree with a lot that he has to say, and make a reader think about, but it was interesting, and kept me reading.the last 1/3 of this book was awful. the writing, which hadn't been stellar to begin with, over-utilized all of the lameness that was easier to excuse through the first 2/3. (there are a lot of long monologues, where heinlein gets to use a character to expound upon a point he wants to make. usually, other characters around the speaker will simply say 'huh?' to keep the talker going. got old.) his diatribes became less and less interesting to me, and more and more filled with holes, in my opinion. much of the culmination of all of it (not just the ending, but the entire last third) was predictable, and didn't add to the questions he wanted us to be probing.i'm left with a feeling of 1 star for this book, but i'm giving it 2 because of the first part.and, utterly inexcusable, is this quote that i simply cannot abide, in the last third, spoken by the main character woman:"'Nine times out of ten, if a girl gets raped, it's at least partly her own fault.'"