elisas8

Bernard Malamud, Jonathan Safran Foer
The Wayward Bus
John Steinbeck

The Story of Jane: The Legendary Underground Feminist Abortion Service

The Story of Jane: The Legendary Underground Feminist Abortion Service - Laura Kaplan there's a lot going through my head after reading this book; let's see if i can put any of it into cogent sentences. so first of all, wow. the women in these pages are amazing. it makes me want to tap my radical side and just get out there and do something already, not just talk talk talk about all the problems with oppression i see in this world. to believe in something and to go for it, to make it happen, whatever the cost - that makes a powerful read. on the flipside, second of all, wow. the women in these pages play into the patriarchy in really interesting ways. i've been talking a lot lately about nonprofits and the possibly inherent problems with hierarchy that we see, as well as the divide between decision makers and those on the frontlines. this book shows how people out there making a real difference, doing radical work (the women who ran this service ended up actually providing the abortions themselves) end up with this power dynamic that the feminist movement (and their own organization, at the beginning) fights against. and third of all, wow. i knew that i have a pretty flimsy foundation of understanding around abortion and reproductive rights, but i never thought about how once roe v wade was passed, that there was still a huge amount of fighting to do. the christian groups that fight abortion (and who were a part of getting it legalized in the first place) make us focus on just keeping abortion legal, instead of the real issues - putting abortion into the hands of the women who are choosing to have them, giving them those decision-making powers. legalized abortion has just put doctors in power, not the women being affected. to say we don't need to fight about this is like saying that because we have a black president that we are in a post-racist society and that because women can be doctors and lawyers we live in a post-sexist society.my mind is cracked and open after reading this. i don't think it's purpose was to galvanize people into action, but that might be the result for me."More and more, women are viewed as the enemy of children, requiring the State's intervention to protect their developing children from them. But, in reality, women still conceive, nurture, give birth to and, in most cases, are the primary caregivers of children. Women are being reduced, once again, to the incubators of future generations with total responsibility but no power.""As to the question of whether abortion was murder, murder was a legal term applying to human beings, and a fetus, in their view, was not a human being. To give it the same or greater value than a living woman was an indication of how little women were valued, as if their only worth was the children they produced.""'It felt to me that by doing this one little thing you could change a woman's life. You didn't have to change her values or walk her through any kind of experience. All you had to do was give her a choice.'"